Monday, September 13, 2010

Babysitting Job

I got a job babysitting two boys. They get dropped off at my house at 6:30am and get picked up between 4:30 and 5pm. The older boy I take to school and pick up so technically I only have him for a couple of hours a day. Most of the time it isn't bad. The older boys throws these awful fits if I tell him no. He will say things like, "Fine, then I will never ___ again." One time he even said that he would never eat again. How crazy is that. He is way over dramatic and I don't handle that the best. He also likes to be bossy and he whines. But he is a also really good at helping. If I say it is time to clean up, he will have it all cleaned before the other kids listen at all. One day  he was whining about Sunshine saying she was smarter than him. He is in first grade and I would guess lower end of average academically but obviously knows much more than Sunshine. So, I had a little chat with Sunshine about how it is rude to say things like that even if it is true and we talked about how you can be smart at different things. But the funny thing was when I asked her why she thought she was smarter; she said, "I just feel it in my heart." I love that my girls make me laugh. The other boy is almost two and is generally really good. He takes a nap the same time as Duck everyday so that works out for me quite nicely. I think that the mom wants me to potty train him soon though and I just think that it is way too soon. I mean I know that other people train their kids really early but Sunshine was so difficult that I just don't even want to think about trying with a one year old boy that isn't even mine. Ugh. It is funny how different boys and girls are naturally. I use to kind of shake my head at that notion but it is true I tell you. True. Sunshine and Duck are being exposed to a whole new language being around these boys. They are teaching them all kinds of  new games. I never thought that I sheltered my girls from boys or boy things but it is amazing how boys are just so hard wired for things. Sunshine didn't even know about spiderman for goodness sakes.
The other thing, I thought that this job would be like a windfall of money. You know an extra eight hundred dollars a month sounds so good but honestly it hardly seems like things have changed. People always say that is the case because spending goes up with any pay increase, but I thought that if I was really conscience of it then we could be careful and pay off some debts, etc. Well, it seems like all of it has gone to fixing our van or some other unexpected cost (we really should have a set aside budget for the unexpected things but we don't). Anyway, it has simply been such a blessing so that we could take care of these things without getting into worse debt. I hate debt, but that is different post all together. Babysitting other children regularly also makes me feel so grateful for the babysitters that Sunshine had while I worked for a year. I know that it wasn't always fun and sometimes it was downright annoying to get paid so little for such a long day. Thank you Julie and Gina I will always remember you and love you and love that you watched my Sunshine girl. I am so so so so grateful that I can be home with my girls now. Though sometimes I think that if I could just teach for one or two more years we would be better off. But then I think about missing that time with my girls and I just ache thinking about not being here. Even when they smear toothpaste all over our oddly carpeted bathroom vanity area. I love my girls so fiercely.

No comments: