Monday, August 24, 2009
Google and my feel good moment
So, I am sure many of you have done this before and I wonder what you all found. But, I had such a thrill to see that when I googled my name, I actually came up in the first page of 647,000 results. Now, that alone would not have been good necessarily because, I have never wanted to be famous or infamous. My feel good moment was that it was a student rating of me when I taught school in Colorado. I was a little nervous to see what the student wrote but it turned out not to be half bad. Although, I don't really think that being rated as an 'easy teacher' is a good thing. This student must have been a smarty. Anyway, I really did have a couple very rough years teaching and I thought countless times maybe this just isn't my calling in life. In fact, I have had at least one student that said "Your voice makes me want to vomit." (Remember, I taught thirteen year old, hormonely disturbed, etc. etc. girls that you know didn't want me to do my job.) But I did love it too and there were times that I was in heaven and I grew tremendously. I miss it when school starts in the fall that I don't have my own classroom to set-up. It reminds me of a line in the movie "You've got Mail" where Tom Hanks wants to send Meg Ryan a bouquet of shapened pencils. Doesn't that just sound lovely. Sometimes I want my own classroom in my house, I have thought about homeschooling. I think that it would be so much fun and work. But, there are some BIG reasons why I wouldn't want to also. I think that it would be such an injustice to a child to take the opportunity of being inspired by different people away. My seventh grade science teacher made me love science, like I never had before. My geometry teacher use to call me (very affectionately) knot head. I had to correct the text about the church during my US History class lectures (which said that Joseph Smith led the exodus to Utah). Although, I completely understand this quote, "Hillary Clinton has said that it takes a village to raise a child. I have seen the village and I don't want it raising my child." I was shocked at some of the things that my thirteen year old students talked about and did. Let's just say SSSSCCCCAAAARRRRYYYYY. (I didn't mean for this post to be a pro v. con list about homeschooling, so sorry.)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Ha. You should read dani's blog. She posted about googling her own name too. It was funny. When I google my name I show up on Dancesportinfo.net. Fun. I'm glad you aren't going to homeschool your kids. I want our kids to go to school together. I know how much you love school supplies though :)
I love school supplies too. New pencils, new crayons. Fabulous.
Post a Comment