Friday, August 14, 2009

Don't We All...

...want our children to be the best. Maybe it is just plain old pride, but I want my girls to excel and shine. Now, I don't mean that I want to put everybody else down or be all high and mighty. I just them want them to be the best. Average just doesn't seem good enough. Is this sounding a little crazy? Don't get me wrong, I hope that each of my girls have their own talents and strengths and that they don't have to be best at everything. Just almost everything. In particularily, I have been thinking about Sunshine and her academics. First of all, I think that she is bright but mostly she has just been trained. She loves her letters and books, etc. But lately, I find that what she has learned already seems to be good enough for her. Ok, ok, I know you are all thinking "Hello, she is just barely three" but really academics start early nowadays. I was feeling pretty proud like wow I have taught her so good. yadda yadda. But recently I have found that others her age know even more than she does. WHAT??? Is that just insane? I mean who are these kids? Is she going to be considered average??? I know comparing just isn't fair, right??? (Honestly, I will love her no matter what. She brings such a wonderful new inadequacy into my life. I have learned so much about myself and my deepest desires, and haunting fears by being her mom. I love it and am so scared I am going to screw her up with all my weirdness.) Anyway, about a week ago, I thought to myself, "Self, forget about the letters, numbers, etc. etc. and just play with her!" But now I am thinking, I need to break out all the stops. I am going to teach this girl to read before next year! I am going to have her memorize her multiplication tables! All right, that is a little over the top. All I am saying is that I loved school and part of why I think I did is because I was good at it. I want her to love it and be the best at it. Is this too much to ask?

2 comments:

SK (Author) said...

Have you seen the book: "Teach your child to read in 100 easy lessons"? Very, very good. Caleb isn't 3 and is learning to read - and loving it. Brandon is going into kindergarten this year reading, and well. He's also about done with 1st grade math.

I'm all about teaching them young...not necessarily about being the best, but giving them a head start so school is enjoyable and they are open and available to take advantage of every opportunity. But it's only any good if they want to do it.

green girl said...

You sound like me! :)