IN CELEBRATION OF
“DUCK” THORPE’S FIRST BIRTHDAY
PLEASE SUPPORT OUR NICU TOY DRIVE

PLEASE DONATE:
NEW
INFANT TOYS LABELED 0-3 MONTH
SIMPLE / QUIET MOBILES
CRIB MIRRORS
OR SIMPLE SPEAKERS (to be used for music with cd players)
TO BE GIVEN TO BANNER DESERT
NEONATAL INTENSIVE CARE UNIT
ITEMS SHOULD BE GIVEN TO THE THORPE FAMILY
BY JUNE 13TH
Our Story
Last June, I came to Mesa for a little vacation before I delivered my second daughter. There was still ten weeks before I was due and I was feeling good. My doctor had no unusual concerns. It was just a typical pregnancy. Suddenly, I started having painful contractions. I felt confused, why was the baby coming now? What was going to happen to her? She was born about a half hour after getting to the hospital and only minutes after being examined. Chloe was born weighing in at three pounds which was actually large for her gestation. I didn’t know at the time that she had to be resuscitated. Over the next four weeks she was cared for in the NICU at Banner Desert and then our insurance flew us back to Las Vegas for five more weeks at the NICU. During her time at the hospital there were good days and bad days. She had breathing problems, digestive problems, iron deficiency, a virus, as well as other concerns because she so small. Memories include CPAP, oxygen, IVs, feeding tubes, transfusions, medications, UV lights, ultrasounds, x-rays, and lots of practice breathing and eating. Steps forward and steps back. At first I could only touch her through the bed that she was in. Later I could hold her for only an hour a day. Eventually she was able to be in a regular crib and I could hold her the whole time I was with her. Today she isn’t just surviving, she is a thriving happy and healthy baby.
I am so thankful for the wonderful care that my baby had. The nurses constantly by her side, listening for the alarms to sound when there was something wrong, lovingly turning her, checking her IV and other straps and leads, washing, feeding, and tenderly talking to her, encouraging her to get better, to be strong. The nurses are the best. They taught me everyday. Many nurses were frequently assigned to us and would even go out of their way to check in on us when they had other patients. We appreciate the doctors, nurse practitioners, technicians, lactation specialists, case manager, social worker, chaplain, and staff members during our stay in the hospital. I cannot begin to explain how blessed I feel to have had my baby stay in such a wonderful place with such amazing people during such a scary time.
If you are interested in sending donations and do not have our address please email me and I will get it to you. Thank you!!
“DUCK” THORPE’S FIRST BIRTHDAY
PLEASE SUPPORT OUR NICU TOY DRIVE
PLEASE DONATE:
NEW
INFANT TOYS LABELED 0-3 MONTH
SIMPLE / QUIET MOBILES
CRIB MIRRORS
OR SIMPLE SPEAKERS (to be used for music with cd players)
TO BE GIVEN TO BANNER DESERT
NEONATAL INTENSIVE CARE UNIT
ITEMS SHOULD BE GIVEN TO THE THORPE FAMILY
BY JUNE 13TH
Our Story
Last June, I came to Mesa for a little vacation before I delivered my second daughter. There was still ten weeks before I was due and I was feeling good. My doctor had no unusual concerns. It was just a typical pregnancy. Suddenly, I started having painful contractions. I felt confused, why was the baby coming now? What was going to happen to her? She was born about a half hour after getting to the hospital and only minutes after being examined. Chloe was born weighing in at three pounds which was actually large for her gestation. I didn’t know at the time that she had to be resuscitated. Over the next four weeks she was cared for in the NICU at Banner Desert and then our insurance flew us back to Las Vegas for five more weeks at the NICU. During her time at the hospital there were good days and bad days. She had breathing problems, digestive problems, iron deficiency, a virus, as well as other concerns because she so small. Memories include CPAP, oxygen, IVs, feeding tubes, transfusions, medications, UV lights, ultrasounds, x-rays, and lots of practice breathing and eating. Steps forward and steps back. At first I could only touch her through the bed that she was in. Later I could hold her for only an hour a day. Eventually she was able to be in a regular crib and I could hold her the whole time I was with her. Today she isn’t just surviving, she is a thriving happy and healthy baby.
I am so thankful for the wonderful care that my baby had. The nurses constantly by her side, listening for the alarms to sound when there was something wrong, lovingly turning her, checking her IV and other straps and leads, washing, feeding, and tenderly talking to her, encouraging her to get better, to be strong. The nurses are the best. They taught me everyday. Many nurses were frequently assigned to us and would even go out of their way to check in on us when they had other patients. We appreciate the doctors, nurse practitioners, technicians, lactation specialists, case manager, social worker, chaplain, and staff members during our stay in the hospital. I cannot begin to explain how blessed I feel to have had my baby stay in such a wonderful place with such amazing people during such a scary time.
If you are interested in sending donations and do not have our address please email me and I will get it to you. Thank you!!
2 comments:
Angela--I had no idea you went through all of that. What a miracle--a truly inspirational story! Thanks for your example--you are a strong and faithful woman!
Hey, are you going to make a flyer. I'm going to try to get our primary involved. That is such a cute picture of Duck in the red dress.
Post a Comment