Thursday, May 28, 2009

My Mild Nightmare


There have been so many mistakes and so much guilt. This has simply taken too long. Why? I keep asking myself what I could have done differently, better. Is it all my fault? I keep talking to freinds about it or reading about it on blogs and everybody else seems to just do it in a week. Done, over with. No regrets! What is the problem!?!?!?!?! Maybe it is because she was ready like last summer and because of all the other stress (i.e. Duck in the hospital etc. etc.) we just didn't do it then. The window has been closed and now it will never happen again. Uugh! She wanted to do it then and I just let it pass because I had too many other things on my plate. She would do it once in awhile and we would praise her but she was still not wearing underwear. It was still "OK" to go whenever she felt the need. Then I finally said ok we are really going to do this. Even decided that she needed to wear underwear against Daddy's wishes. We taught, praised, practiced, gave rewards (candy, stickers, etc.), and cleaned up countless messes. This has been going on for a couple of months now. She will pee in her underwear quite regularly and at first I didn't make it a big deal. It was an accident right? But, I eventually figured that she didn't understand that she was even doing something wrong. I started telling her that it was very bad to go except on the toilet. She sometimes goes all by herself. Awesome. But she still has several accidents a week. Now she even goes and changes herself into new underwear. Just now in fact she went and put a pull-up on herself, peed, and then I noticed and made her put her underwear back on. What the heck??? She fights going all the time. I started using a timer and made her go everytime it went off, but of course that back-fired because then she thought that was the only time she had to go. She doesn't want to do it. I am afraid that fighting over it and making her do it when she doesn't want to is just going to mess things up even more. I know that she knows when she has to go. Now the key is going when she feels the need. I had no idea how much I, as a mom, would talk about pee and poo but it is what I have to deal with from the beginning of the day to the end and sometimes in between. I can't wait to be able to write that she is done potty training but when will that be? (By the way, she does this really cute thing: crossing her legs while she sits on the potty.)

3 comments:

Bobbi said...

I know you didn't ask for advice, and I might have said this already, but from my experience, it's so much easier and less stressful on the mother to just wait until the kid potty trains herself. I started "training" my oldest when I thought he should be trained. It took a whole year of accidents and fighting before he finally "got it". Then, when the twins came along, I literally just sat back and let them wear diapers for as long as they wanted. It took MAJOR self-restraint, by the way, 'cause I really hated paying for double diapers, but I didn't want to deal with double accidents, so it was worth it. Then one day, they just figured it out on their own. That time around it really did only take a week. Amazing! Maybe it's just coincidence, maybe the oldest child is just harder to train 'cause they don't have older siblings to watch, but I really think it's at the very least easier on you, as the parent, to let them figure out how to read their body on their own. So much for unwanted advice, huh? Good luck! I absolutely HATE potty training! I promise it won't last forever, though! Your daughter won't go to 3rd grade in a Pull-up!

Valerie said...

SOOOOO been there! Don't worry. She WILL get it. I thought Lily would NEVER get it and we would be changing diapers for the rest of our lives, but after going through literally everything you have, she got it. Do not despair!

Emily said...

That is a really cute thing she does with her legs. She is so funny. I still think that she's just going to wake up one day and decide she wants to do it. Abby still won't even try... still a "princess."