Thursday, January 8, 2009

CTR 5

I have always been active and had callings at church. I always liked working with relief society and young womens. I bore being activities chairperson. After moving, we joined a very active, large ward in Mesa. I like feeling needed by the ward so when the bishopric came to visit us we told them that we were eager to receive callings. They asked what our previous responsibilities were and then I said, "I actually have never taught primary but pretty much done everything else." I didn't think in the moment of what that might mean for me. We got the call Sunday morning to come meet with Brother Thompson. I will now be teaching the CTR 5 class. So I have to say that I am excited actually. Sister Smith in another ward showed me such an example of love for the primary. She was tender and soft about it. She loved feeling the spirit each week with the little ones and was in tears about leaving them for another calling. I thought, "Wow! It takes a special, nurturing woman to love strangers kids so much." I need to be a little bit more gentle and meek so maybe being around these special little children is just the thing for me.

First time teaching. Sharing time and music time were wonderful. I was on the verge of tears. The spirit really was strong even though the kids didn't sing all the words to the songs. I kept thinking of when my girls will be in primary, and how much I love them, and how much each kid in there is loved by their parents, and how much Heavenly Father must love all of them, and how much He loves me. What a cool experience. Then we went to class. I didn't have quite the same feelings as I had before. I guess I need to work on that. It was frustrating when the kids weren't listening to me. Arghh. Anyway, I also learned that the lesson goes by really fast and there is still so much time. I really need to start wearing a watch. I need to stretch the lessons about four times. We will see. You know I actually taught school for six years. Funny how different I think primary is compared to school. I guess that it is also true that high school teachers like teaching subjects and elementary teachers like teaching kids. I think personally I am somewhere in the middle.

5 comments:

SK (Author) said...

Hey, congrats on the new calling. I once said, 'please, anything but primary.' Then I got called in there and just fell in love with it...it is a great place to be and was in fact, very difficult to leave.

What ward are you guys in? I have some friends in Mesa and have no idea if you live anywhere near them, but I thought I'd just ask.

Amber said...

Hey Angela, your class is so lucky to have a great teacher like you. I've been in the Primary in our ward for over 4 years and can attest to how difficult it is to find teachers who will love the kids and enjoy being their teacher. My oldest is a CTR 5 and I wish we were in your ward so you could be his teacher! You'll do great. Don't forget to ask the presidency if you need anything...hopefully they're really supportive.

Laurel said...

Been there!! One thing about the short lessons....I always had a "coloring page" that they could do if they listened and were reverent for the whole lesson! :) Then they got a sticker to put on their paper (if you let them put it on their clothes, they play with it for the entire time!) Chloe looks so much like Eliza!!! Miss you guys!

Valerie said...

Are you SURE you don't want to come back to Colorado and be in OUR ward?? We seriously need good teachers like you!

Rachel said...

Congrats on your new calling. I've taught that age before, and they can be hilarious! I know you will enjoy it and take full advantage of all they will teach you. We miss you here in Vegas and wish you never would've left us! I am glad all is going so well for you.